Monday, July 7, 2008

Why I'm doing this thing called Photography

I know you're here to look at my pictures. And you may or may not care about my thoughts on things. But since I am somewhat of a writer too, you may occasionally be subject to not only my pictures, but also what's going on in my life or in my head. I think more than being an occasional writer or a photographer, I'm more of a documenter of sorts.

And so that's why I do this photography thing. To document. Because I feel satisfied with knowing that that look was captured for all time. That glimpse or that smirk or that kiss won't ever be entirely lost. I'm not in this to know the right lingo or win contests or attach any kind of fame to my name. I'm not in this to have the latest and coolest and most expensive gear. Not that there's anything wrong with that stuff. But that stuff can't be the why for me. And so that's why I'm writing this down. That's why I'm documenting how I feel right now, today. Because people change and their motivations change and their hearts change. And if someday that stuff becomes the why, I want to be able to go back to this point and read this and remember the real reason why I want to do this. I want to do this because people are important and people are eternal. The documented moment of that person is why I want to this thing called photography.

I'm pretty new to the photography biz. I'm still naive, green, unscathed so to speak. And I hope I'm able to hang on to that for a while. I'm somewhat jaded about many other things. I sincerely hope that I don't become jaded about this. I'm scared of becoming formulaic and stale in my approach. And I hope that I'm able to recognize it in myself if it happens. I hope I'm able to turn it around. I hope I'm able to recapture the why if I ever forget. And I hope those of you who really know me will be able to help me remember.

No comments: